DogGo

Mobile App UX Design

Programs Used:

Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator

Introduction

Problem

Too often dog lovers are not in suitable living conditions to adopt, but feel the void of not having a furry companion in their life. Meanwhile, shelter dogs are often not able to be given the best amount of attention they deserve due to a lack of volunteers. The app DogGo aims to connect dog lovers with shelter dogs in the area to set up walking appointments for approved walkers to spend some quality time with a new furry friend and get them exposure to new people.

Project Overview

The app, DogGo, connects dog lovers who are not yet able to adopt with shelter dogs in their area to go on walks because this demographic still wants a form of companionship from dogs. We will know this is successful by measuring the feedback walkers and shelters give on their experience with the app and the walks coordinated through it.

Design Process

Understanding the User

In order to gain a better understanding of what users would most want out of an app like this, I reached out to the Dogs subreddit and posted a user research survey there where I was able to gather over 400 responses.

From my findings, as the artifacts below highlight, I was able to gauge user behaviors and determine which features and information were most essential to their experience.

The survey was conducted in a multiple choice format to ensure a more streamlined idea of the overall consensus of users' feelings.

Brainstorming

Using feedback from the user survey, next I narrowed down what components of information I would need present in the app for users to include based on what users wanted available. After that, I used post-its to draft up a few user journey flows.

Initial Designs & Testing

For this project I wanted to work with iterations and gain experience with usability testing, so for my first draft I designed mid-fidelity screens to give the user a better context of what they were looking at, as I would be conducting the test online and asynchronously. For the purposes of testing, I again recruited users on the dogs subreddit and was able to get a few testers.

To gain a better understanding of their mindset since I wouldn't be present for the testing, I made sure to ask follow-up questions such as to rate the difficulty of the task from 0 (not difficult) to 5 (very difficult) and if there were any aspects of the design that confused them.

Design Iteration

Using the results from the usability testing, I decided to revise my user testing method by making the questions less complicated, while still making necessary changes to the designs that tripped up users such as the earliest time available not being as eye-catching enough. Additionally, I changed up some aspects of the existing design, such as changing the home image to test if users liked it more or less.

Again to better understand the testers' thought processes, I made sure to ask them to rate the difficulty, as well as to explain why they clicked where they did.

Final Design

Taking into consideration some of the complications users had with the second set of testing, I decided to design on on-boarding tutorial to teach users how to navigate the interface. Additionally, I labeled the tabs at the bottom to be more easily understood, and

Outcome & Learnings

Final Reflections

The main purpose of this project was for me to gain experience testing iterations of my design rather than settling on the first draft as I've done with previous projects. In the future I would like to be able to test user flows and designs in person, rather than remotely and asynchronously, however given a lack of resources I had to make do with asking strangers on the Internet for their feedback.

I'm overall really proud of how this project came out and the feedback I've gotten on both the concept and execution from everybody on the dogs subreddit!